Friday, June 3, 2011

i do declare!

I recently encountered what I do declare as to be the best food moment of my life. This past Memorial Day Weekend while spending time at what I refer to as Paradise- but to others known as Vaughn Bay (my great-great-grandmother had the fortitude to homestead on the water and pass down her property to generations following her- brilliant woman I tell you!!)--I was blessed with the most delicious moment. My friend and his youngsters bounded down to the rocky beach and combed its soil for its crop of shelled delicacies. They successfully bounded up to the grassy bank that extends a thumb of a finger into the water and holds a fire pit that encourages the view as well as conversation. The oysters (Pacific Blues) were distributed evenly amongst the hot coals glowing in the masonry and earthen round. My friend attended to the oysters and maintained their progression- as the oysters succumbed to the heat their shells popped open. Then they were swooped up by a leather adorned hand and then cracked further- and the beautiful white meat was exposed and extracted from the shell and plopped on the plate of anxious comrades around the circle. They were then doused with the taste of choice- simply lemon juice and kosher salt or cocktail sauce. Bottles of champagne were opened and were sipped while noshing on the clean and salty loveliness of the bounty of the bay. The sun was just beginning to crest behind the Olympic Mountains- and was extending its rays to our bank. We all lingered in the beauty of the moment- exquisite food, delightful company, and the sun shining. Everything was right- and it will stand in my memory for all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment