Friday, October 7, 2011

my love affair with the end of the world

Astoria, Oregon is hands down one of my most favorite places on earth. There is something about this funky little town that got under my skin years ago, and like a long love- I've never been able to rid it. In fact the romance may have intensified. If Astoria were a smell it would be a combination of earthy patchouli and cigars with a hint of victorian vanilla. Once that sweet blend of gritty masculinity and lacy femme- enter your nostrils forever it stays.
The town of Astoria abounds with delicious food. Seafood is abundantly available being at the end of the world- as the mouth of the Columbia runs head-on into the foreboding Pacific. My favorite food haunt of all the world is the Columbian Cafe. In true Astoria form it is anything but all done up. It refuses to dress up- and keeps its business true to delivering the best food I've ever consumed- rather than beautifying itself. I have managed to take my grips off my beloved hole in the wall and have ventured out to other food establishments- and have been blown away. Clementes is a new favorite on the CG list. The fish they serve is of top notch quality and is unbelievably fresh (aka the owners family is the fisherman!). I love their corner spot with floor to ceiling windows- that let patrons take in the comings and goings and the loveliness of the Liberty Theatre across the street.
The community is like none other. There's an unspoken code here- "get involved or leave". Its a community with a past of hard working people and that sentiment has bled over into the current state of mind. The arts both music and fine- are supported by the inhabitants better than anywhere I've encountered.
Living at the end of the world has benefits- amazing food, an arts culture off the hitches and a community that is fiercely supportive. Pretty dang worth it I gather.

No comments:

Post a Comment