Sunday, July 18, 2010

Arriving in Italy

July 16, 2010

Arrived in Roma yesterday! I had booked a room at the same time of my flight and had really no idea where the heck I was staying…to my sheer delight I ended up in this

little town; Ostia Antica right outside of Roma. This little town showed me the Italy I am after. When I arrived in Italy, I was caffeine, food and sleep deprived, but I took the advice of Rick Steve’s and kept moving. I meandered my way down to the town center of Ostia Antica and I started snooping…..this led me to a little cafĂ© where I ordered a latte and then another, the quintessential Italian woman attendant behind the counter respectively obliged my needs! It was only after my second latte that I was able to relax and take in my surroundings. I then got up and began uncovering this little town. I walked along cobblestone streets only big enough to walk on, clean laundry hanging above me drying on the lines between buildings, neighborhood felines walking and cozying up to whoever will spare the time, a cheeky young boy that helped me pick out my frutta (and what a great job he did), a panera shop where I got the cutest little mini pizzas you have ever seen- think silver dollar pancakes but pizza!..and oh so many other nuances worthy of mention but will spare to list. The most wonderful surprise beckoned me to the town center..where when I walked in the ancient bell start tolling- there was no one there but me-the perfect scene for a movie! I then turned to see I was standing right next to a castle…I then stepped inside to find that niente costa (didn’t cost anything!). Once inside I looked up..and heard the pigeons fluttering and cooing…this was when I realized I really was in Italy.

A few fun tid bits:

Transportation: Public transit is no big deal. It’s the same as in any big city in the U.S. just in Italian. People are willing to help if they can. I commuted my entire first day by public transit without having a clue before I got there as to what bus to take...I made it without any issues…not to mention must cheaper. In Rome to ride the Metro and buses it is 4 Euros for all day.

The Men: I love the way Italian men have no problem communicating the way they appreciate the way a woman looks. This could be either by giving one intentional look, maybe a second, or third, or even a stare, or maybe honking their horn, or maybe a whistle, or maybe a shout…whatever it is they are not afraid to be forward! Va benne!


4 comments:

  1. I love reading your writing!!! You are making me sooo jelouse! I wish I could join you, it sounds like an adventure. I am so excited that you are recieving a true version of Italy. We miss you and the boys are very excited to have heard from you. Love ya! Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH..........so glad you are truly tasting the Italian culture. You are a brave young woman to venture out all on your own!! The small town sounds perfect for your explorations...

    I'm so happy that you are being appreciated by the Italian men......you are beautiful so I would expect nothing less than for you to turn eyes or attract stares and whistles!!!

    Looking forward to hearing all about it when you come home!!!! XOXO, love you sweetie!
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Honey,
    I was picking more raspberries and thought of you~as you come over and take from the abundance of their overflow. The berries try to hide behind the leaves but with my expertise in hunting them, I search them out and leave none unturned. Their fragrance is sweetness to the nostrils and tasty to the palate.

    Another beautiful day here in the great PNW.....but I am sure it pales to what you are experiencing. The clouds had to burn off which took until afternoon to do so. The temperatures have been in the 70's and low 80's.......perfect for me!!

    I've been busy with making gourmet burgers the past couple of days. Mmm.....jalepeno-bleu cheese and cheddar AND mushroom and bacon burgers. I slipped the mushrooms in which will hopefully go undetected by the boys until they have devoured them! Ha, they just THINK they don't like mushrooms :)

    Well, I miss you.....but am happy you are having this time with your sister and brother in law..........experiencing ITALY!

    I love you sweetie............. XOXO, Mama

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Erica...I am already going through withdrawls...something happened today and I said I need to call Erica and tell her. But I can't because the little stinker is in Italy!!! The boys have added you to their prayer list every night that you have a fun safe trip and that you come home soon. We all miss you! I hope that your trip is exciting, can't wait to hear more about it. My mom loves reading your writing she says you are an incredible writer...she would know because she reads...could you use simpler words for me. :)

    Love you!!
    The Pierce Family

    ReplyDelete