Tuesday, April 5, 2011

"a"-game

I am a genuine enthusiast for excess- being a proper American and all. Balance has always been a hard objective for me to achieve. I know I'm not alone here. My behavior is compulsive, its obsessive and at times borderline neurotic. So goes my love and relationship with food and body. I would be lying if I said I have mastered that delicate relationship. I have skeletons hanging in my closet that expose themselves from time to time.
Some people are born with a clearer understanding of how to navigate balance. I am always a little envious of those people. I have a dear friend that I am constantly in awe of her gentle glide through life- approaching everything with modesty and grace. However, long ago I realized this works for her- it doesn't work for me. My philosophy of life and petal to the metal attitude- has created who I am. So now I have an appreciation for the people that I will never be- and rightfully so.
I try to find balance in what works for me. Its taken a while to get to that point. Recently I have been a bit excessive in consumption-and I haven't burned as much off as normal- and now I'm feeling the effects. In an effort to get back to where I feel my best- I'm taking bit of a break from my indulgent self- and pairing back..doing a little detox to jump start the bod. This consists of a detox tea- (Republic of Tea- "Get Clean" is awesome), Odwalla Superfood, and homemade smoothies, and a lot of water, through the day and a normal meal in the evening (oh and I never leave coffee out!) Coupled with some good intense workouts. This is one of the ways I get back to my center.
I was jogging this afternoon with a friend and he was mentioning that he always knows how to reach down and get to his "A-game". His reference was in regard to his physical ability for training and competing. The comment got me thinking about my current efforts in getting back to my a-game. I encourage that if you don't know where you feel the best body and mind- start listening to what your body is convincing you of. Once you know how you feel optimally you will always know how to get back there, maintaining that balance all the more. The swinging back and forth will lessen and becomes much more manageable. We only get to go a 'round once on this gorgeous earth- so live vibrantly, live beautifully, live strongly. Be the master of you.
I highly encourage anyone regardless of the title to read "French Women Don't Get Fat" by Mireille Guiliano if you haven't already. The philosophy in it is so amazing. This book literally changed my whole perspective on food and body.
Regardless of how you feel- NEVER EVER- self deprecate. A barrage of insults of yourself are far more unattractive than the way you look. Confidence is your most gorgeous attribute. Evaluate and change. Move toward your goal- and love yourself every step of the way.


2 comments:

  1. Well hmmmmm... I saw a previous post about indulging oneself and not holding back, I believe you were in Utah? :) Well I am very proud of you for taking a step back and evaluating what makes you feel good. You always look amazing! I am so similar in my inability to pass on my compulsions. In so many ways in life! I guess we have to think of not depriving ourselves of anything, we are merely taking a step back and saying "why do I feel this way when I don't have this, or that? what was it substituting for in my life?" Once again, starting today, I have begun a 21 day cleanse. I find it so funny that BOTH OF US happen to be doing this NOW. :) HAHA! Mine is slightly more restrictive (no coffee...animal products...sugar...gluten...or alcohol...) but I have a new approach that I am pretty sure won't let me fail. The no coffee is less thank pleasant, but I know I can make it! Thank you so much for this blog post, easy to do something when your best E is doing it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how i love thee......
    go ahead i can take it sister-My sentiments are still the same in both posts- I love excess I love indulgence...I won't ever ever back down from that- however sometimes our bodies say "hold up just for a sec- i have to catch up" so then we hopefully adjust, on either side.... i think TEMPORARY modifications in diet are fine..i dont think that a life from permanently restricting yourself from something you enjoy makes a lot of sense- its so mundane, and oh so boring

    ReplyDelete