Wednesday, January 5, 2011

ummm....excuse me miss

Gone are the days of willy nilly travel.
A couple of nut-jobs saw to that, trumping spontaneity-all because they could not let peace and innocence alone. The new security precautions in our airports 'round the world produce not only some of the most interesting people watching but from time to time also advance surprising comic relief. Did you know that you can not board a plane with a tortilla press? I didn't. In an effort to reduce the weight of my checked bag on my return home from our friend to the South- I unloaded my precious industrial tool into my carry-on bag not thinking much of it. While attempting to get through the security clearance it was seized from my belongings- and separated from the destiny it was to have with me. In one clean swoop our dream of sharing the tenderness of creating the earthen-hearty and warm masa discs-was shattered. Apparently, a tortilla press has some kind of weapon capability that I was completely unaware of. I was such a naive suspect- attempting to carry that contraband into my mother land. Well without too much resistance I parted ways with my metal ally.
Once inside the border of my home country, I went through standard border control inspection and declarations. Upon admitting that I had a stow-away sandwich in my purse I was immediately whisked to Aisle 1 in the Dallas, Texas airport. The criminal substance I was was concealing between two slices of bread was the meat so many people love to hate-ham- or jamon (the proper name from the country of origin). It is the protein that several religions have deemed un-pure. Now our country- the gorgeous U.S.A. has formed an alliance against "the other white meat" - being of the foreign persuasion. We are now a prejudiced pork loving country. Again- who knew? This all comes about, because as I was informed the U.S. has been spared from three particular diseases that the rest of the world is subject to. Foreign pork seems to be the carrier of at least one of these diseases, and so the U.S. Pork Association maintains its standards in U.S. bred pork by not allowing migrant pork into the country- at least via a life raft of carbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment