Monday, December 20, 2010

....15 years of salivating

My Tia immediately upon my arrival in Mexico City presented me with a host of activities and events she coordinated for the two of us to participate in a fashion that is uniquely hers. With this full range of activities given, she also provided a window of opportunity for me to address any special requests that I wanted to engage in while visiting the City. I almost immediately mentioned my need, my desire and the quest that would fulfill a 15 year yearning. Some would reserve this type of longing for deep, heavy things- but no no- not this chica..folks I pine for Argentine beef! When my Pops and I had visited our Tia long ago in this ancient, sprawling, and crazy city we were first introduced to Cambalache- an Argentine restaurant in downtown Mexico City. The memory of how good that meat tasted has never left me. The allure here is that you are served this sizzling plate with a slab of steak prepared to your liking (which if I can interject any CG advice here- medium rare to rare- always on beef!!) to your table and is served with the customary condiment- chimichurri. Adding to the flavor is the way in which the meal is consumed, each person throws their fork and knife on the platter and carves off a bit of the meat for themselves as they go ensuing an immediate intimacy as only can happen when truly dining in a communal type fashion. So tonight was our night to revisit where I fell head over heels for this wondrously simple and impressive meal. My Tia and I dined in greatness at Cambalache, at her favorite table, great drinks, fabulous service. Let me pause- we are talking servers waiting in every alcove watching your every sip and bite, so they can sweep up and fill your glass when it gets a little low and your plate needs changing-five stars- bravo. The meal was great. I must say though that the most fabulous thing I walked away with in addition to a nice light feeling by lilting a couple of drinks back and the blessing of a divine meal- was the company. These moments had are ones to be cherished-ones I know I am lucky and privileged to partake.

2 comments:

  1. YOUR sister and brother are probably wretching at your description of the Argentine meat....but sounds devine to this carnivorous creature~ Sounds like you and Tia Nancy are having a blessed time together of which I expect no less from a lady such as she! I am so pleased that you have taken this opportunity to spend time with her, she is a gem in her own right. Tell her that I send my love! Continue to breathe in every moment and create memories that will last a lifetime!! Forever yours, MAMA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica,

    Do they deliver stateside? I'll take mine medium rare with a pound of chimichurri on the side. Just recalling that wonderful restaurant makes me want to book a flight! Give my love to Tia and especially to Catti and her wonderful coffee and sweet rolls! Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete