Monday, December 20, 2010

My first Posada


On Sabato (Saturday) I attended my first Posada- which is a traditional Mexican Christmas celebration in which the Nativity is re-enacted. However this particular party I attended was a Posada in name only. It ended up being more of a "who's-who" party. The host of this party is Kikon- an Asian man that was born in Peru and then moved to Mexico City- I suppose to seek better exposure for his talents. He is a singer and an actor. Kikon is very warm and funny and all guests are put at ease with his charm and hospitality. My Tia Nan whom is my host, interpreter,chauffeur and social coordinator- is in the entertainment biz in Mexico City- so much of her friends and acquaintances are someway or another in show business themselves.

Immediately upon arrival there were video crews swirling around with their cameras and mics in tow- and interviews poolside were already being conducted with a famous actress -Maria and a very famous singer-Dulce. There were at least two different TV stations represented and at least one magazine and one newspaper all at the posada to conduct interviews and to record the events of the evening.

Essentially the party ended up being a gathering of partaking of spirits, food and laughter. I made friends with the English Speaking types- since my Spanish is bordering on this side of horrible! Funny thing- I took Spanish in High School and I took a bit of Italian a few years ago- but when I was in Italy trying to communicate in Italian- the words that would come to me were Spanish, now being in a Spanish speaking country meagerly attempting to communicate- the words that keep flooding my mind are Italian! Go figure!

All the ladies were bestowed a gift from Kikon- the ladies that he knew more intimately received a lacy little pair of undies in accord with the Mexican tradition- in either red-symbolizing love or yellow-symbolizing wealth. For those that were either maybe above the age threshold of bestowing racy little things or that Kikon did not know quite as well were given some super cool earings. One of the actors that was at the party- Enrique- was indignant of Kikon's sexist partiality in gift giving to the ladies- and he insisted of its injustice- he was then given a gift of his own-in proper order, that being boxers.

Needless to say this group certainly knows how to have fun and I made friends easily- and was very glad to partake of Kikon's annual Posada.

No comments:

Post a Comment